Wednesday, March 28, 2012

THOUGHTS ON UNITY AND ONENESS OF PURPOSE

I do not quite know if this caption aptly describes what I want to write; neither do I know if it correlates with what you will find in the body of the writing. However, staying true to the new way of writing which I have discovered, the one without rules or objections, please let’s together see the few lines below and drop your comments.
For the past two weeks or thereabouts, I have taken some things into perspective. I have played different scenarios in my big coconut head. I have given myself reasons to think so deep. Thoughts that left me either wanting to turn back the hands of time, stop living and quitting the rat race or even wanting to live the more and do what I must to make the world I live in a better one. I have still learnt a few more things by virtue of my perspective thinking, hoping that will make me a better person.
The perspective thing gained more ground with some recent events. The Fabrice Muamba incident opened my eyes to how human beings relate in times of distress and challenges. First lesson I picked added to the one I already know about the sanctity of life. Fabrice just fell, and according to medical people, “he was technically dead for 78 minutes”. That would have been the end, I mean the end of Fabrice. I renewed my pledge to live as though every minute is the last, I chose to make peace always.
The outpouring of love and support shown Mr. Muamba, a guy I first heard of while honing his skills in the club I support, Arsenal FC, did not quite surprise me. I felt so concerned for him and saw the same on my Twitter timeline and Facebook feeds. It made me feel something I never was sure of how to explain again. The concern from all walks of life, even from non-soccer supporters, was overwhelming. Maybe just for once, everyone united irrespective of creed, colour, religion or other affliations.
Maybe, just maybe if we can daily support ourselves, our world will be a lot peaceful. Maybe if we can be regularly unite, we will together confront and defeat the evils which daily threaten our existence. Maybe if we offer folks shoulders to lean on, their lives will be a lot better. Imagine the number of people praying for Fabrice at the same time, does that tell you something about unity of purpose? Does that convey a message about oneness? Fabrice has pulled through and daily improves in his health.
See the show of support from Gary Cahill, Muamba’s former teammate. What with Andrea Pirlo getting his goal dedicated to Fab? See Real Madrid players wish Fabrice and an arch rival, Eric Abidal (of Barcelona, Madrid’s arch enemy) quick recovery in their respective health battles. I do not expect a world without rancor, I do not plead a perfect world, I only ask that we come together to make it a world in which we will stand firm by one another in our times of need.
While Fabrice Muamba’s condition was on, the campaign to #saveOke started here as well. Here was a young man who was bubbling with life before being confined to his bed due to diabetes. He needed a sum of five million naira to get to use his legs again. Calls were made for donations from folks. I saw one thing that I thought was not available again, many folks rallied round the young man, making donations out of the little they had on them too. Not wanting to sound immodest, I did something as well.
At the end of it all I felt a huge sense of relief and fulfillment. Of what use is the trouser and shoe I want to buy when someone’s life was at stake. Some of my friends on BBM responded, others ignored. At the end of the day, the Delta state government took over after our efforts yielded two million naira. Together we stood, as a unit, we contributed two million naira. Does that not tell you what we can achieve if we come together as a team?
Remove your five hundred naira and my two hundred naira from two million naira and you will have one million nine hundred and ninety nine thousand, three hundred naira; that is less than two million naira in any way. So whatever anyone did was important. Every penny, every contribution to a joint effort counts. It goes to say that we all are important in anything and everything, no matter how inconsequential you think you are.
A lot still on my mind, but I think we all should value ourselves and come together as a team to tackle challenges when needed. Words of encouragement alone are enough to spur people who are taking active part in any exercise. Every team needs you, you are of value. Team work will always win. This to me does not qualify as the best way to carry my message across, but I have tried to explain in a little way. You and I are important in a team…xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment