Thursday, November 10, 2011

ADIEU PASTOR SAMUEL ADETUNJI OWOYEMI (1930-2011)

I sat down in my office that fateful morning, playing with my phone because I had a little let-off from my normally busy schedule. I was trying to do many things at the same time play some music on my computer, playing game on my phone, doing a few chats with folks and a few other nothings. Impulsively, I scrolled to check the updates on my messenger and I saw a very close friend with sad emoticons, he was asking rhetorically, why do these things happen?
That was some minutes before ten in the morning of September 15. Going further down my contact list, I knew the inevitable had happened. The elephant has fallen; read a display. I knew I had to confirm something somehow. I picked up my phone and dialed and the voice at the other end said what I knew had already happened. The exact word I remember hearing was Baba don die o. I sighed, re-adjusted myself and took a deep breath.
That sums up how I knew about the passing unto glory of a father and an encourager. I have known Pastor Samuel Adetunji Owoyemi, whom we all called Baba Owoyemi right from my childhood. Permit me to get a little emotional with this piece. Baba Owoyemi deserves this and more, for he lived a life that was exemplary. I am struggling to find the right words that would tally with how emotional I feel. I do not feel sad at his exit, I only am going to celebrate this impactful life well-lived.
I have known Baba Owoyemi since my childhood. As a child, I remember he was calm and articulated his points whenever there was anything to discuss. His messages in our old SPAC, St. Pauls Apostolic Church, were not the speaker blaring, altar stamping, grammar blowing ones. Yet they had this way of sinking into ones system.
The Yoruba word kami kami kami is one I heard for the first time, from his mouth. It was in one of his wisdom-laden messages. I was nothing more than seven years old then but by the end of that Sunday service, I knew what kami kami kami meant. He carefully chose his words and had an illustration cum example for every situation he explained. Wisdom was never lacking in his words.
There were lots of situations in which his wisdom was brought to the fore. He was like a mentor to many up and coming young men back in the days. Shortly after his demise, I was talking to a father figure whom I hold in high esteem. This person said without mincing words that the fact that he has a roof over his head is down to Baba Owoyemis persistence, regular encouragement and advice.
Daddy Owoyemi always had a word for everyone. If you were doing good, he had a proverb to urge you on. If you were not doing something to be proud of, he had your kind of proverb. I vividly remember when there was a debate about indecent dressing. He simply said something which is translated as there is no dress code anywhere. Anyone who wants can walk around naked, and anyone who is ashamed can wear his or her undies around. It took me long before I knew the weight of that statement.

Baba and Mummy, both resting in the Lords bosom now, exemplify love and oneness. They together had this special interest in peoples lives and progress. I can count off my fingers, lives that have been touched by the simplicity of Daddy Owoyemi and the concern Mummy showed while they both were here with us. They personally touched me with their oneness. I saw only one thing with them both, love as of old. I know I am not the only one who saw that.
Getting closer, Baba had this way of encouraging my immediate family. There were tough times when my Dad faced a challenge in his career. He had this way of always asking after him; he was just so concerned. He would always want to know the most recent development in my Dads place of work. He had this way of asking my mum about us all. Iya Seye, e ma pele. Alagba nko? (Seyes mother, how are you? How is Elder?) He never looked down on anyone, instead he urged us all on.
My mom had a fracture on her leg in 2007. I remember Daddy Owoyemi came to visit my mom. He did not send anyone, he came himself. What made it so humbling was that it was shortly after Mummy passed on. For someone who was still mourning the passage of his other half to come on a visit to an ailing person was the height of it all. He said specifically that Mummy would have come to see you if she were to be alive and I owe her this visit.
Personally, I have heard only good words from him all my days. As a six or seven year old, Baba always said I had Akinkanju, it meant nothing to me then but I knew it was a good word. All through my university days, while some people scorned my choice of Animal Science, he always told me that the future of our country rests on agriculture and that I had taken the right step. He said that time and time again. He repeated it the last time I saw him before his passage.
At the end of my service year, I gave him a litre of wild honey, being what I brought for him from Taraba state. He looked at me and my mother and said Seye has brought me honey. He is saying my life should be sweet. Seye, may your life never know bitterness. I was moved by his appreciative spirit. He regularly asked about my job and told me to stay focused in my career. You are destined for the top, just stay focused, he always said. Baba, I remain focused Sir.
I will always remember a father figure, my adopted godfather and a great encourager and lover of all. Like we always say, we love you, but God loves you more. I will always miss your words while I hold on to the ones which drive me in my pursuit of excellence in life and destiny. You live on Baba; for life after death is what people speak of you after you are gone; and I have only good words about you.
Rest in the bosom of your God till we meet to part no more.
Adieu Baba, O daaro sir.

No comments:

Post a Comment